Sunday, June 3, 2012

Butter is a beautiful thing


Don't ask me why there is deodorant on my countertop.
Actually, don't ask me why any of that crap is on my counter.
Ask pinky, aka miss yes, I cleaned the counters, mommy, aka
not really, I'm just hoping you'll let me watch tv anyway.

It was Paula Deen day up in the Snarktastical household. I felt like I slathered the whole world with copious amounts of butter for Sunday dinner but thinking about it now, I really didn't use that much.

It's quite possible, however, that I really am a fat ass and that's a crapton of butter. But whatever, haters. My potatoes were the bombdiggty. Want to know how I made them?

1) Cut up a bunch of potatoes. Any kind will do but I'm quite partial to reds. Since they were pretty small, I quartered most of them. You'll want to cut them into 1-2 inch pieces, depending on how big your mouth is. If I were making them for pinky, I would have left them whole. That's one way to keep a child's mouth from running at the table.

2) Boil up a bunch of potatoes. Drop them in a pot of salted water, bring to a rolling bowl and keep cooking until they poke easily with a fork. This usually takes about 20 minutes.

3) Drain up a bunch of potatoes. I think that part's pretty self explainatory, yes? Then onward we go.

4) Butter up a bunch of potatoes. I flopped them all into a nice bowl and then dropped at many pats of butter on there as made my heart happy. I used skinny pats lest I get too excited and end up with a ham in my face.

5) Stir up a bunch of potatoes. Just chop up a bit of thyme, sprinkle it in there and stir it up along with the rapidly melting butter. Salt and pepper to taste.

At this point, you could be done. However, I had leftover stuffed mushroom filling that was too good for the garbage can so I toasted that in a small skillet on the stove and sprinkled it on top for extra yummy goodness. If that sounds tasty to you, here's what's in it: about 2tbsp of both breadcrumbs and shredded parm, one clove of minced garlic, and a 1/2tsp each of sage and thyme plus salt and pepper to taste.

The stuffed mushrooms and Chicken red-wine-posing-as-Marsala recipes came from the Giada De Laurentiis' Everyday Italian cookbook I've had in my trunk for more than a year and have only just now got around to trying. So far, I like it. But I'll need to try a few more recipes before I can give the old Starktastical only Italian via marriage and numerous viewings of Goodfellas seal of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment