Friday, May 9, 2014

Peas Porridge Hot





During my recent sewing frenzy, I neglected my poor unfortunate garden. The peas are in desperate need of trellising, the beans in need of mulching, and I better find poles for my pole beans to climb less they wrap their graceful grasping tentacles around my onions. I'm a wee bit ashamed of myself for letting things get out of hand, but that's how we lazy people procrastinators roll.

Not all is gloom and doom, however. Things are happening out there, albeit rather slowly, as gardens tend to do. I went out there the other day to inspect my little babies and wonder of wonders, there are green, nearly edible things cropping up out there.






First up, the tomatoes. Really, I have no idea what kind they are. Grape? Cherry? Who knows? I think gophers stole the plant identification tag. We have gophers in Georgia, don't we?






If you squint really hard, you might see the baby squash at the base of, oh who am I kidding? I think that's the wrong picture of the wrong squash plant. You'll just have to trust me when I say that out there in the wilderness of The Hot Mess garden, there's a plant with some baby budding squash out there.





Is that a future ear of corn? I feel all verklempt, almost like the first time I saw an ultrasound pic of my baby. That's not weird at all.

I still only have enough peas to eat them by the hand straight off the vine. This is no great loss as far as my youngest is concerned. I think raw peas straight out of the garden might be right up there with salt water taffy and starburst on the list of things pudding likes to eat. See for yourself.






No comments:

Post a Comment